Friday 11 March 2011

Tom Yum Gai - One of my favorite Thai dish

Today I cook hot and sour soup with chicken which is named tom yum gai in Thai. 


I must say I felt in love with this soup at the first time I tried it in Koh Chang 2 years ago. First taste, so nice impression this soup had left me. The most popular Thai soup is tom yum goong that is cooked with prawns / shrimps. However, my fiance never touches seafood in his life that's why tom yum gai has become our regular dish, which is the chicken version and as nice. The smell of lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, hot and sour flavors that helps waking up all your senses. They are spreading all over my kitchen and I can't wait to show you how to cook this incredible soup right now.  


My tom yum soup is very simple and so easy to make. All you need is:


Ingredients: (as served for 2)
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 skinless chicken breast
- 4 quarter chopped mushroom
- few green beans chopped as 2cm size and cooked
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 or 2 bird eye chilli (as taste)
- 2 cm sliced galangal
- 1 shallot
- 3 garlic gloves
- slightly smashed lemongrass 
- 6 - 8 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tom yum paste
- 4 tsbs coconut milk
- Seasonings: fish sauce, sugar, coriander 












Method:
1. Season in advance sliced chicken breast with 2 gloves garlic, salt, pepper, chopped red onion and leave chilled for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, you can chop the veg.


2. In a pot on a medium heat, put in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the tom yum paste. (1). In a frying pan, put the chicken breast and cook for 2 minutes.


3. One by one add the rest of veg (carrot, green beans, onion, mushroom) and spices in frying pan together with chicken for a few minutes. (2)  


4. Put (2) in (1) now and season with fish sauce, coconut milk, sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the veg and chicken cooked through. Remove the heat, serve hot with fresh coriander and steamed rice


Look at this. Isn't it so beautiful and yummy, is it?

You might be confused as my tom yum soup looks differently because I put some veg in (carrot, green beans,...) I can guarantee that it not only wouldn't change the taste of original tom yum but also bring some green, some red colour to your dish which also provides nutritions as vitamin A, vitamin K and vitamin C. Sound superb, doesn't it?


Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment