to go for Lemon Cake. A lovely cake to serve in the afternoon with a hot cup of tea.
It is perhaps the colour of sunlight that poured down my window kitchen decides for me.
- 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 large lemon (outer yellow skin of lemon)
- 2 cups (260 grams) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 free-range egg yolks
- 75g caster sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 lemons, juice and zest
- 100g mascarpone
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Butter, or spray with a nonstick spray, a 9 inch (23 cm) spring form pan and then line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer) beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and pale in color (about 3 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and then add to the batter along with the lemon juice. Mix only until incorporated.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with an offset spatula. Bake about 40 - 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool, then gently remove the sides of the pan.
5. For the filling, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a pan over a low to medium heat until the sugar has melted. Add the butter, lemon juice and zest, and continue to cook, whisking continuously, for 4-5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened and is smooth and well combined. Set aside to cool completely.
6. Using a metal spoon, carefully fold the mascarpone into the cooled lemon curd mixture to create a marbled effect.
7. When the sponge has cooled, cut the cake in half horizontally to create two thinner cakes. Spread the lemon filling all over the lower half of the cake, then place the top half.
8. Pour the icing sugar over the top of the cake, final touch with a slice of lemon.